Purple Sea Moss (Harvested from Jamaica)
Jamaican Purple Sea Moss, commonly referred to as Irish Moss in the Caribbean is an algae harvested from the ocean. It is packed with Protein, Fiber, Vitamins and Minerals.
Because of its high iodine content, this superfood may help to support healthy thyroid function.
Sea Moss may also help to soothe the mucus membranes in the body.
How to Prepare Purple Sea Moss
Below is a simple way and effective way to prepare Irish moss in less than 15 minutes!
1. Wash thoroughly with water to remove salt or other impediments (Sea Moss grows wild in the ocean).
2. Blend 6 oz of Irish Moss with 32 oz of hot water for a few minutes (initially blend at low speed to prevent splashing as blender cuts through the moss).
3. Add two cinnamon sticks, a teaspoon of ginger root and blend for a few more minutes until smooth.
4. The gel can be stored up to 10 days in the refrigerator. It can also be added to smoothies or other recipes as a thickening agent.
How to consume Purple Sea Moss:
2 oz of Sea Moss gel added to any smoothie or recipe
Sea Moss Precautions
- Though there are no reported long term effects of Irish Moss, it does have some blood thinning properties. If you are taking anticoagulant medication (blood thinners), please consult a physician before adding Sea Moss to your Diet.
- Pregnant or breast feeding mothers should abstain from consuming Irish Moss as the effects are not yet researched.